Re: [OPE-L] the long and the short of it

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Wed Sep 13 2006 - 15:48:32 EDT

--- Jerry Levy <Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM> wrote:

> > So you have to come down
> > from total to less total, you have to draw some
> lines
> > to frame your canvas, to delimit your subject
> matter
> > or the object of enquiry. <snip>
>
> > As far as I'm concerned, a short story model is
> > good enough for me.
>
> Ajit:
>
> A "short story model" also requires that you frame
> your
> canvas and delimit your subject matter or object of
> inquiry.  While a short-story is desirable, where
> possible,
> it is possible to delineate the subject matter in
> such a way
> that the short story is _too_ short in order to
> explain
> essential aspects of a subject.  You may ask:  what
> is
> essential?  Well, if the subject is capitalism, then
> -- for
> instance -- money is an essential aspect of that
> subject. If
> one has a theory of capitalism which could  also be
> used
> to describe non-capitalist modes of production or
> doesn't
> have an adequate theory of money (and instead
> substitutes the
> fiction of numeraire) then one's story is too short.
> Walrasian
> theory, for instance, is "too short".
_______________________
Jerry, it is obvious that you have not understood a
word of what I have been saying. And since you have
sniped most of what I had written, anybody who reads
only this post would think that I must be an idiot.
Neither I was denying that I don't have to frame my
canvas nor proposing that people should write short
stories or be brief in what they write. This whole
response of yours is abosolutely ridiculous. By the
way, how do you know that "Well, if the subject is
capitalism, then-- for instance -- money is an
essential aspect of that subject"? Does this essence
of your subject dance around in the street or you have
used some method of analysis to discover it? And if it
is the latter, then what is that method that you used
to find this essence out? Assertions are easy Jerry,
but it does not take you too far. Cheers, ajit sinha