Re: [OPE-L] Six book plan, foreign trade

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Tue Sep 26 2006 - 16:03:23 EDT

> Hi Rakesh,
>
> A few points...
>
> You argue:
>
> "Since Marx never accepted the assumptions on which Ricardian theory
> of ca is based, it's not clear to me that he had to develop an
> explicit critique of it in order to demonstrate the possible multiple
> effects of foreign trade on the expanded reproduction of capital."
>
> Well, I guess we differ a bit there - I take Marx to be doing what he said
> he was doing, namely making a critique of political economy (such as was
> known in his time). Ricardo was undoubtedly the intellectual giant in
> economic thinking at the time, and Marx was evidently interested in the
> topic of foreign trade as well, for example, he copied estimates on
> British
> imports and exports from "The Economist" magazine. He just did not write a
> lot about it, except for currency exchange, but that was because as I
> argued, his project was unfinished and incomplete.

Marx did not intend simply to write a lot about foreign trade in a big fat
book made up of disjointed insights. He intended to theorize the role of
foreign trade in terms of the expanded reproduction of a capitalist mode
of production.

> The main point though that Marx repeats several times (in the Grundrisse
> and
> Capital) is that - whereas obviously people would not normally trade
> unless
> they gained something from it - some could gain much more from the trade
> then others, so that in aggregate more labour effectively traded for less
> labour, i.e. you have to produce more and more, to obtain the same amount
> of
> product in exchange. This modifies the operation of the law of value. In
> Marx's day, foreign trade was not quantitatively so significant as it is
> today. As I mentioned, e.g. the US economy nowadays  swallows up an amount
> of foreign goods and services the value of which is nearly equal to
> Italy's
> GDP each year (of course, I need a bit more statistical rigour here since
> multinationals are in the habit of re-exporting as well, for which the
> figures have to be adjusted).
>
> One of the points Prof. Anwar Shaikh makes is that effectively the
> comparative advantage/cost theorists operate with two theories of trade,
> one
> applying to the domestic market and another one applying to international
> markets - but why should there be one set of economic laws for the
> domestic
> market and another set for international trade? Presumably Marx would
> argue
> that capitalist behaviour internationally would follow the same kinds of
> principles that operate nationally. (Shaikh's papers on international
> trade
> are available here: http://homepage.newschool.edu/~AShaikh/).
>
> You asked:
>
> One more question: did Mandel ever speak to the relationship between
> the six book plan and the four volumes that Marx did write?
> Yours, Rakesh
>
> As far as I know, he did comment on it (e.g. in his Introductions to
> Capital) but he mainly followed Rosdolsky's interpretation.

I think Rosdolsky on this point is very hard to follow. He seems to think
books 4-6 were left incomplete, but he really evinces little understanding
of HG's argument.

> Mandel's theory of the world market (in Late Capitalism) contains some
> important insights, but as Klaus Busch among others points out, there are
> also problems with it. Mandel's theory of unequal exchange isn't very good
> yet. But it is better than those scholars who argue Marx upheld a
> Ricardian
> theory of foreign trade (rather odd especially since Marx wrote relatively
> little about foreign trade).
>
> Makoto Itoh also provides a careful discussion of the topic in his "The
> Basic Theory of Capitalism", p. 55 ff. Itoh rejects Grossmann's
> interpretation and is also critical of Rosdolsky (being an Unoist).

Why reject HG? Why critical of Rosdolsky?

More later.

HG answers some of your queries below in what he did write.

 Among