[OPE-L] David Riazanov, editor y disidente

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Thu Sep 28 2006 - 16:58:50 EDT

Try e.g. Babelfish at http://babelfish.altavista.com/ for a quick
translation of what it's about. Translation programs are getting more
intelligent, which is a huge help to us who have to communicate in different
languages more efficiently. You don't have that problem, when all you
hear/read is English.

My hope is for so-called on-line "learning" translation programs in the
future, which remember all translations and edits which have been made using
them, and can thus reliably calculate a probability of correct syntax,
context and grammar (a bit like Google). We seem to be some way off from
that situation yet... strangely here in W. Europe foreign language learning
is not yet perceived as a very important international problem, which could
have devastating consequences in the future. (Okay guys, let's look at for
example the money and effort that goes into actual foreign language
education!). In the US, the CIA knows they've got a problem, because they
cannot get enough speakers of Mid-East languages (!).

Regrettably I lack the time at this moment for a good translation, and my
Spanish is very weak indeed. I only got as far as two years of Latin, and
trips to the Canarias and Malaga.

Jurriaan