Re: [OPE-L] If a six turned out to be nine

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Sep 30 2006 - 11:32:38 EDT

1. You dismissed question of relation of Bina's analysis to Marx's
completed analysis of rent as postmodern nonsense. This is nonsense
and bizarre
2. Marx's analysis of the credit system is incomplete. No question
3. Question is not how much Marx wrote about this or that but what
how problems fit into the overall structure and purpose of his work.
About this we need clarity. It's nonsense to dismiss such question as
superficial.
4. Oakley's attempt to understand how the four volumes stand in
relation to the six volume plan is by far the best analysis I have
read. Itoh's dismissal of Grossman is about three sentences. Mandel
does not understand why HG says Marx's had a theory of foreign trade
in terms of his overall theory of reproduction. You can't refute a
point you don't understand. And Tribe's understanding of HG's
critique of Wilbrandt is no more than a few lines too.
5. Marx did not write a little about foreign trade or wage labor or
crisis or landed property (what do you think he wrote a lot about?).
And quantity does not matter. What matters is whether what Marx wrote
about these topics is complete from the theoretically perspective
from which he wrote. So the question of incompleteness or
completeness cannot be determined unless said perspective is
understood. You are wrong to dismiss the question.
6. Grossman does not use Marx's reproduction schema to show the
possibility of breakdown. He says that Bauer's modified schema does
not disprove the possibility thereof, but he does not say that
Bauer's schema positively proves that there will be a breakdown.
7. My interpretation of Grossman is superior to many others simply
because I do not identify Grossman's theory with his graphic
extension of Bauer's scheme. For example, Grossman did not treat
capitalist luxury spending simply as a residual.
8. Grossman always said that the question of breakdown was a matter
for empirical investigation. So your attempt to dismiss me as
literary and metaphorical is offbase. I have never denied central
importance of empirical work, and I have followed it closely even
while I have not done it (though your posts are too scattered for me
to follow).  Neither did Grossman deny importance of empircal work.
But in this sense Grossman's work is irrelevant, but not Moseley's,
Shaikh and Tonak's, Webber and Rigby's, Edward Wolff's.
9. How do you define accumulation? How does Marx define it? How is it
defined in the national accounts?
It's you who I think is being very unclear.
10. Your statement that I want to supervise Marxian theory is again bizarre.

Rakesh