Re: [OPE-L] If a six turned out to be nine

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Oct 02 2006 - 22:05:47 EDT

>Rakesh, you wrote:
>
>"You think the change of plan controversy has already run its course. I
>don't think it has even begun".
>
>Comment - That is not what I think - what I think is only that there have
>been many individuals and schools already, which have tried to answer the
>question of how to develop Marx's analysis further.

Still need clarity on relation between six book plan and four volumes
of Capital. Does the latter represent only part of the first book on
capital (Fred Moseley I think) or three of the six books (Rosdolsky)?
Or is latter not continuous with the former, part of a different
project altogether (Grossman, Tribe)? For all the ink spilled on
breaks and ruptures in Marx's thought, the idea that the abandonment
of the six book plan followed an important theoretical break has
received surprisingly little informed attention.
But it seems more interesting to me than the philosophical breaks
with Hegel, humanism, historicism, etc.
Again Oakley lays out the debate extremely well but there has been
little dialectical development of the three contesting
positions--including I fear in our protracted discussion.

>  Among others,
>
>- the reproduction schemes (e.g. Hilferding, Bauer, Grossman, Luxemburg,
>Bukharin)
>- levels of abstraction (e.g. Kozo Uno, Itoh, Althusser)
>- partially autonomous variables and long waves (e.g. Mandel)
>- social structure of accumulation (e.g. Bowles, Gordon)
>- regulation theory (e.g. Aglietta, Boyer)
>- unequal exchange theories (e.g. Emmanuel, Amin)
>- international trade (e.g. Busch, Altvater, Girschner, Siegel, Shaikh)
>- profit squeeze (e.g. Glyn, Armstrong, Harrison)
>- systematic dialectics (e.g. Reuten, Smith, Arthur)
>- the role of the state (e.g. Jessop, Kofler)

these works actually don't speak of relation of Capital to six book plan.
Rest of the post is probably interesting but don't have time. Hope
you find another interlocutor.
I can't for the life of me understand why you think real estate
speculation is outside the ambit of HG's theory proper. Maybe someone
else can.

Rakesh