Re: [OPE-L] Theoretical issues concerning variable capital

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Oct 05 2006 - 19:30:06 EDT

>--- Jurriaan Bendien <adsl675281@TISCALI.NL> wrote:
>
>>  I haven't got POCBMOC handy here to check chapter
>>  and verse, but I think
>>  Fred put it quite well:
>>
>>  "The real wage in Sraffian theory is a specific
>>  bundle of goods, determined
>>  ex-ante (prior to prices and money wages), and
>>  determined independently of
>>  workers' consumption choices.  Moreover, it is
>>  assumed that each worker
>>  consumes the same bundle of goods.
>_______________________
>This is wrong! ajit sinha

Right. But for Sraffa there is a distributional struggle over the net
product while for Marx
capital allots out of the product rightfully appropriated only the
means of life to the defacto slaves who have produced them. This
relation of defacto slavery cannot be changed by what within a
Sraffian perspective would be a more favorable distribution to the
working class.

Someone somewhere argued that Sraffa explicitly and consciously
rejected the putative rigidity in Marx's wage theory--allowing for
the wage to appear as the result of a distributional struggle, rather
than as an allotment by capital to wage workers for their survival as
defacto slaves.

Sraffa's theory may prove superior for just this reason, but it would
be nice to clarify the difference.