Re: [OPE-L] Theoretical issues concerning variable capital

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Fri Oct 06 2006 - 11:25:47 EDT

"The choice of the wage as the independent variable in
the preliminary stages was due to its being there
regarded as consisting of specified necessaries
determined by physiological or social conditions which
are independent of prices or the rate of profits. But
as soon as the possibility of variations in the
division of the product is admitted, this
consideration loses much of its force. And when the
wage is to be regarded as 'given' in terms of a more
or less abstract standard, and does not acquire a
definite meaning until the prices of commodities are
determined, the position is reversed." Piero Sraffa
(PCMC)
I'll not give you the page reference because I want
you to read the book beyond chapter 2! Cheers, ajit
sinha