Re: [OPE-L] Theoretical issues concerning variable capital

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2006 - 08:42:10 EDT

Hi Ajit:

My position on Marx's perspective on wages is that it
can only be understood in the context of the logic of the
6-book-plan.  My perspective on wages is that it can
only be grasped in general with reference to the inter-relation
of capital as a whole, class action, the state, foreign trade,
and the world market.  More specific understanding of wages
in a social formation, region, etc. requires a grasp of  the
empirical and historical data and the historical realities of stratification
and discrimination in the market for labour power.  Like yourself
-- even more so -- I have made my thoughts on these issues known
on this and other mailing lists over the years and I don't want to
bore listmembers by repeated it all over again at length. In
general, I endorse Mike L's perspective on wage determination.

In solidarity,

Jerry

PS:
> You need to develop confidence to say something, otherwise
> there is no point in writing.
I am 52-years-old and I can honestly say that you are the
first person who has suggested that I lack self-confidence.