Re: [OPE-L] rosa luxemburg and international relations

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Sat Oct 21 2006 - 14:22:55 EDT

Dear Paul,

I thank you very much for your email. The paper has been published in the
Turkish journal "Praksis" , Vol 11, pp. 49-82. There is no English version  of
it yet. I am interetsted in the conference as well as in RESEARCH's plans
about publishing a paper on Luxemburg's approach to national question. May I ask
you give some more information please - via the list or off-list which ever
you  like. I thank you very much again.

Regards,
Dogan.

In einer eMail vom 21.10.2006 14:35:08 Westeuropäische Sommerzeit schreibt
zarembka@BUFFALO.EDU:

Dogan,

You may be interested to know that there will be a Rosa  Luxemburg
conference in Tokyo next April 1-2.  Also, Vol. 24 of the  RESEARCH expects
to have an article addressing Luxemburg on the national  question.

In any case, could you privately send me that whole  paper?

Paul  Z.

THE  HIDDEN HISTORY OF 9-11-2001   --"a benchmark in 9/11 research",  review
Volume 23 (2006), RESEARCH IN POLITICAL ECONOMY, P. Zarembka, ed,  Elsevier
***********************  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PZarembka

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006,  Dogan Goecmen wrote:

> Rosa  Luxemburg’s  Critical Realism and the Foundations of International
>  Politics
>
> Abstract
>
> Doğan   Göçmen
>
> This  paper explores the foundational aspects  of Luxemburg’s theory of
> international
> Politics. She  develops a theoretical approach to international  politics,
>  which
> may be described as a critical realist one. Luxemburg  works  out her
approach
> international politics in a  discussion with and in a  criticism of three
> competing
>  schools: social contract theories, moralist  approach and realism. Her
main
> argument
> against these schools is that their   principles do not and cannot serve as
> foundation of international  politics.  With regard to social contract
> theories as
>  operationalized in  international politics: according to Luxemburg the
> fundamental assumptions of  social contract theories cannot be  the basis
of
> international  politics
> because their  principles such as mutual equality and recognition do  not
have
>  any
> validity in the age of capitalism. Luxemburg rejects laying  down  these
> principles to
> international politics not  because she rejects accepting  these principles
> from a
>  normative point of view. On the contrary, she is  convinced that they
should
> be the
> sole foundation of international  relations.  They cannot, however, be the
> foundation
> of  international politics in our age  capitalism as it is taken for
granted
> in social
> contract theories. Luxemburg  formulates  almost the same critique with
regard
> to the moralist approach.  In  order that morals can be said to serve as a
>  foundation
> of international  politics its fundamental premises  must be actuality.
That