Re: [OPE-L] karl marx

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 05 2006 - 13:01:15 EST

Dear Chris, I thank you very much for your critical remarks and sorry for
the delay. Just two points briefly.

I am realy surprised by what you say. On the Capital there is Marx's  name.
OK. But what about so many letters in which Marx and Engels discuss  different
aspects of the book and exchange ideas. Before Marx sent volume one to  the
publisher Engels went through the whole mauscript. Marx and Engels Discussed
the whole book in Manchester. Are these not contributions of Engels' to the
Capital. Compare to this please the correspondence between Marx and Engels in
June 1867. So we have to take the expressionf 'joint work' in its broad  sense.

You say:
'So Capital was  all Marx. he
did not even have the benefit of E  as a reviewer of the sort we today
are very familiar with either from  unofficial colleagues or formal
comments at conference, journal reviewers,  or publishers' readers.'

This is not correct  I know at least five reviews of Engels' published  in
German bourgeois papers. (reprinted in Marx-Engels-Werke (MEW), Vol. 16  207-218
and 226-234) He wrote another review for 'Fortnightly Review' (in German
translation 22 pages, reprinted in MEW, Vol.16, pp. 288-309).  Lastly, I  refer
to Engels' review for Demokratisches Wochenbaltt (8 pages). (No 12, 21  March
1868, reprinted in MEW, Vol.16, pp. 235-242).

Please see Engels' letter of 11 September 1867, in which he asks Marx
explicitly whether he should write revies for bourgeois papers, attacking Marx  from
a bourgeois point of view. And Marx says that this would be the best  service
to the book (12 September 1867).

Dogan

In einer eMail vom 03.11.2006 15:55:52 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
arthurcj@WAITROSE.COM:

There is  no joint work at all by M & E after the Manifesto (to which
E's  contribution was minor).  If anything exactly the opposite occurred
-  that there was something of a division of labour with M doing the PE
and E  doing Military questions, History etc. What is really amazing ,
if you  read the correspondence, it becomes clear Marx  never showed E
any of  his drafts. Very occasionally he would summarise the plan for E
and E  would reply extremely tentatively. So Capital was  all Marx. he
did  not even have the benefit of E as a reviewer of the sort we today
are very  familiar with either from unofficial colleagues or formal
comments at  conference, journal reviewers, or publishers' readers. As
to Engels work  Marx did contribute one chapter to Anti-D but it remains
to be shown that  Marx was awake when E 'read it to him'. Marx still did
not show E his  stuff when E moved to London otherwise how could E
express such horror  when he finally found the Mss for V2 and V3 still
far from ready. Whether  they agreed with each others' work or not is a
separate question from  whether they worked together which they
certainly never did after  1847.
As to dialectics the discourse of the later Engels is markedly
different from the joint works of the 1840s IMO.
Chris A

17  Bristol Road
Brighton
BN2 1AP