[OPE-L] Note from Cyrus

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Sat Nov 11 2006 - 08:00:57 EST

Jerry,

Dr Bina's note is a diatribe against me - bit of a surprise, as I never
attacked him, and I've really nothing against him or his arguments either,
which have nothing to do with my dispute with Rakesh. I'm surprised also
that Jerry would forward this rant to the list rather than to me personally.
Dr Bina and I do not even know each other, so he's hardly qualified to
pontificate on my character or lack of it.

My criticism was directed at Rakesh, who argued that Marx experienced
something like an "epistemological break" after reading Quesnay, and at the
idea that the theory of economic reproduction, which shows how the
capitalist mode of reproduction reproduces its own initial conditions and
thus perpetuate itself, is the necessary foundation for the explanation of
economic crises. I fail to see how talking about oil rents all of a sudden
illuminates the issue, and I suspected Rakesh was just drawing a pomo
pastiche. He corrected me on this subsequently, though failed to explain
what oil rents had to do with it.

If Dr Bina has cogent arguments to offer in criticism of what I have said, I
will respond to them, it's no problem. If however he only curses and swears
at me, I see no point in replying, and I don't think swearing and cursing at
list members is welcome on OPE-L list. There are of course many academics
who like to flaunt their authority and their important friends, but if they
are unwilling to debate the issue in clear language, their so-called
"authority" is suspect.

Dr Bina can huff all he likes about "our collective reputation", but he
doesn't do his own reputation any good with his outbursts of vitriol. At
best that proves he hasn't got any cogent arguments to offer, in regard to
what was being said. My advice is: cool down, cut out the abuse, and don't
make a mountain out of a molehill.

Jurriaan