Re: [OPE-L] WTO rep. proposes "compassionate slavery" for Africa

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Tue Nov 14 2006 - 12:12:10 EST

I think this article is political satire. Anyhow, it reminds me to
recommend an essay in David Ellerman's
(http://www.ellerman.org/Davids-Stuff/AboutDavidEllerman.htm) book
"Intellectual trespassing as a way of life"
(http://www.ellerman.org/Davids-Stuff/Books/Tres%20-TOC.htm) titled
"The Libertarian Case for Slavery". Ellerman argues that in a free
market labourers should be able to voluntarily enter contracts to
capitalize their labour, i.e. sell their future wage earnings to
another party in return for an initial lump sum. This seems identical
to the "private stewardry of labour" mentioned in the article.
Ellerman submitted his article to a libertarian journal, where it got
published. He intended it as political satire. Another Sokal-like
exposure.

Although Ellerman is anti-Marxist, and ultimately seems to be a moral
critic of capitalism, I think his work is well worth reading.

-Ian.