Re: [OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: clyder@GN.APC.ORG
Date: Mon Nov 20 2006 - 07:49:42 EST

Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:

> >>  Can a non human animal distinguish between a movement which is also an
> >>  action and one which is not? If not, then how would a non human animal
> >>  know it has lost the capacity for action?
> >
> >I am not sure I understand what you mean, or what point
> >you are making here. Could you give an example that would
> >clarify it?
>
> If through electrical stimulation we could be made to point to a
> specific object, we would
> not think we had acted as if we had intentionally pointed to that
> object about whose location a friend
> had just asked, would we?

This is an intersting question and I dont really know
the answer to it. In the end, one would have to see if any
such experimentation had been done and what the experience
report by the subject was.

My first guess, is that the consious experience might depend upon which area of
the brain was stimulated. In some cases it might seem like the arm
moving autonomously, and in the other it might seem concious.

One has to take into account the degree of confabulation to which
the brain is capable, as revealed in experiments with 'blind sight'
patients in which the corpus calosum has been injured. In these
cases the two hemispheres loose their intercommunication. A written question
can be presented to one eye and that half of the brain can make the
hand press a button corresponding to the right answer. But when asked
if they saw the question the patient will deny it, and will confabulate
some story about why they conciously moved the hand.

The latest issue if New Scientist, is the 50th aniversary edition, and
contains articles by leading researchers in a number of areas on
what remain outstanding questions for the sciences. One of these
is by Patricia Churchland and is on consciousness, I only had a
chance to read half of it over the weekend, but she cites the example
of a respectable middle aged man who suddenly developed urges to
store pornography and started to abuse a grandchild. Taken into
the court system his behaviour became more bizare. He eventually collapsed
in court and a brain scan revealed a tumor. Removal of the tumor
led to his aberant sexual behaviour disappearing.

Later the behaviour re-occured, another scan revealed regrowth of tumor
that had been missed in the first operation. A second operation again
removed the pathological behaviour.

In this case, the area of the brain thought to be associated with
subconcious urges was being stimulated by pressure from a tumour, rather
than electricity, but the implications seem similar to those in your
question.

> >I gave the example of caging an animal as an example of depriving
> >the animal of its capacity for the actions of freely moving about
> >and seeking food, mates etc.
>
> There seems to be something implicit in the concept of action or at
> least certain kinds of it
> that only humans capable of it. This may not be true; this may be a
> more a semantic debate than an empirical one.

There may be something implicit in the commonplace notion of an
action to the effect that it must be human action, but that tells
us more about the ideological representation of action in society
than about the properties of action itself. As Jerry was implicityly
pointing out in his posting, one must beware of human conceit.
The advance of knowledge has tended to be a great humbler of our
conceits and pretensions, both about ourselves, our fellow animals,
and our place in the universe.

> >I also dont understand why you see these points as germane to
> >Marx original distinction between architects and bees and spiders.
>
> Well this distinction raises the question of how and how we are not
> like other  non human animals. Is there a way in which we act
> uniquely, uniquely have a self or a world or culture or goals or
> intentions? As I said,  I wish I could think about these questions.

Well we are on strong grounds when we say that only humans on this
planet have advance to the point of industrial civilisation. If it were
just a question of cultures, well, it is now pretty clear that apes and
whales have cultures. If it were just a question of using tools we now
now several species of animals can do this. It it were question of using
tools for hunting, then we know that the spiders have long preceed us.
Even agriculture, salvery and animal husbandry are practiced by some species
or social insects. It is only in the most recent phases of civilisation
those dependent on written culture that we seem to have unique
advantages.