Re: [OPE-L] marx's conception of labour

From: Allin Cottrell (cottrell@WFU.EDU)
Date: Tue Nov 21 2006 - 20:43:19 EST

On Mon, 20 Nov 2006, Rakesh Bhandari wrote:

> Marks dismisses the description of social insect slavery as only
> analogical in the strict biological sense.

What do you suppose Marks meant by that?  I hope, more than that
Leptothorax duloticus don't have bullwhips or drink mint juleps,
and that L. curvispinosus don't live in cabins and play the banjo.

[The ant Leptothorax duloticus is known as a "slavemaker" and
studies have shown that the "enslaved" L. curvispinosus suffer
fitness costs such as "significant reductions in dealate queens,
workers, and larvae relative to control colonies exclosed without
slavemakers" ("Prudent Protomognathus and despotic Leptothorax
duloticus: Differential costs of ant slavery", J. F.
Hare and T. M. Alloway, Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences of the United States of America, October 9, 2001).]

Allin Cottrell