Re: [OPE-L] Inter-species slavery

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 11:47:31 EST

> Just one point I am missing in this debate. The issues concerning humans'
> relation to other animals should be articulated in the light of what Marx
> calls humanisation of nature - not enslavement. There is a passage in
> Capital where   Marx tallks about humans relation to donky. The
> implication is this: if  humans  would deal with a donky as donky they
> would degrade themselves to a donky.
>  Therefore they must deal with a donky as a human as much as possible. So
> Marx's  point is not enslavement but humanisation of organic as well as
> anorganic nature.

Hi Dogan

This was a progressive social perspective from the standpoint of the 19th
Century, a period when there were emerging social movements opposing
cruelty to animals and demanding that animals be treated in a more
"humane" way.  I have my doubts as to whether it remains an enlightened
and progressive perspective from the standpoint of the 21st Century.

btw, if humans treat non-humans as if they were humans then isn't this
simply a form of fetishism?

In solidarity, Jerry