Re: [OPE-L] brief reply by list coordinator

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 13:18:03 EST

>  > and I am free to engage any point of view you express here.
>
>To continue to "engage" someone after he/she has explicitly stated that
>s/he does not wish to talk to you is a form of harassment.  Such behavior
>is not acceptable online or off.
>
>In solidarity, Jerry

Also, note you have no grounds for this statement as you engaged my
criticism of your comment. You presented a silly defense of your
objectionable position.

Here it is:

>>Primitive communism and slavery are modes of production, I think, which
>>are possible for other species.  Feudalism and capitalism, I think,
>>  aren't
>>... for a variety of reasons.
>  This is just racism--so called primitives and slaves aren't really
>  humans; serfs, dependant peasantries and formally free wage workers
>  are. Such an idea is only possible on the basis of the invidious
>  distinctions built up by racist Euro-American culture.

This is just laughable.  The concrete, historical circumstances
having to do with why feudalism and capitalism can't be imagined
as existing in non-human species have to do with specific forms of
property relations, ownership, money, markets, etc.  There doesn't have to
be money or markets (including a slave market) for slavery to exist.
Capitalism, however, _requires_ monetary exchange, etc. -- conditions
which are specific to a certain period in human history.

In solidarity, Jerry

I then responded to this unpersuasive argument. Now you fault me for
responding to your response to me.
If you hadn't responded to my criticism and I kept reposting it and
demanding that you respond to my criticism, that would be harrassment.

But that's not what happened.

You have no grounds for preparing the ground once again for my expulsion.

Rakesh