Re: [OPE-L] Inter-species slavery

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Thu Nov 23 2006 - 15:52:16 EST

>Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:
>
>>  >In the problematic within which I am working, the key category is
>>  >not the free subject, whose existence I believe to be a philosophical myth
>>  >reflecting the requirements of the juridical/moral
>>  >level of the state apparattus, but labouring capacity.
>>

>>  Abstract laboring capacity or potential is difficult to talk about
>>  because we always
>>  only see it instantiated in one concrete form of another.  a
>
>No more than many other scientific abstractions. Energy, which
>is a close analogue in Marx's discourse, also exists in concrete
>forms, but that does not make potential energy any less valid
>as a concept.
>
>We can do empirical measurements of abstract labouring capacity, this
>is what the capitalist discipline of work-study does. It quantifies
>the average amount of time to perform a task with the average worker.
>We know that workers can be transferd between tasks, this is the
>key to the abstraction. Just as energy can transfer between forms,
>so can abstract labour in two ways:
>
>1. In any society by a reallocation of individuals between tasks
>2. IN commodity producing society by the exchange of embodied labours.

The capacity for what kind of work and labor do humans have?

>>  So it may
>>  be no less a metaphysical
>>  concept than free will. Slave makers have always denied that slaves
>>  have the same capacities
>>  or potentials that they do on the basis of what slaves do.
>>

>Yes, but this is class ideology, just like the racist ideologies
>about different labouring capacities of black and white peoples.
>
>I agree by the way, that race is a social rather than a genetic
>category, but as such it has clearly had real effectivity.

OK.

>>  At any rate,there is indeed an important difference in the dynamics
>>  of human and
>>  ant slavery because in the former slaves are either individually or
>>  collectively
>>  resisting in hidden ways or struggling to buy manumission or
>>  ingratiating themselves to win favor or risking death in the attempt to
>>  escape.
>
>I think this is an unsafe generalisation. Slaves certainly have struggled
>for freedom, but whether this is universal is quite another issue.
>Ingratiation
>is also another strategy that will have been common.

So you see no difference in the kind of ingratation a slave is
capable of as compared to a dog? And you don't think that affects the
dynamics of slavery differently than your pet relationship?

>  But it is not
>clear that either of these are uniquely human. I have a dog that is
>the very image of servile ingratiation, and bulls for example, have
>at times to be subject to considerable constraint.

Which is under genetic control. The responses by slaves are not that;
there are degrees of freedom here and choices in a meaningful way.
That makes slavery the institution it is with the dynamics it has.
It's just a bad metaphor to read that back into the animal world or
the world of animal husbandry.

>>  This is one reason why the human mode of slave production has an
>>  essentially different dynamic
>>  than the ant mode of slavery.
>
>This may be true, but one should not assume that insect societies
>are free from class conflict, recently the struggles of worker bees
have begun to be documented and understood.

The class struggle of worker bees? No citation. Is this a joke?

I'm done.

Rakesh