[OPE-L] on observing rape in dolphins

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Fri Nov 24 2006 - 23:01:31 EST

Citing no sources, the moderator tells us that it dolphin rape has been
observed. The moderator seems unaware of the biological, philosophical and
political difficulties in blithely making such a claim.

http://web.mit.edu/anthropology/faculty_staff/helmreich/PDFs/sex_on_the_brain.pdf

I consider this an assault on academic integrity, given the seriousness of
the issue. It's also a travesty given that biologists, ethnologists and
anthropologists who are sympathetic to Marxism most often play careful
attention to these difficulties. But for someone who unapologetically
spouts 19th century racist claims, this is not surprising.

I am also very surprised that I am the only expressing dismay and concern
about such claims being made so uncarefully on this list.

Rakesh