Re: [OPE-L] blocking of messages -- not

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Nov 25 2006 - 20:14:57 EST

Jerry, I trust that you are right and that I am wrong on this. For an
interesting
but introductory discussion to questions of human diversity/unity, animal/human
distinction and sociobiology, see Edmund Leach's very elementary
Social Anthropology.
The book was generally considered a failure, but there is a
tantalizing argument from p. 106 ff.

"Human language is not just a tool by which we control other people
and control the material world out
there; it is also a device which allows us to formulate metaphysical
concepts, and to recognize, at a conscious level, the binary
oppositions which are basic to the structure of ordered thought...I
am saying that men are men and not non men because they have created
artistic imagination which is bound up with the use of language and
other forms of patterned but arbitrary expression, e.g dancing and
music....in using the Comtean notion of progress from superstition to
science...no one suggested that apes have imagination to be
superstitious! A fundamental discontinuity between human thinking and
non human thinking is already presupposed in the very arguments which
were used to describe the imagined evolution from the one to the
other...I am saying that the recognition of a distinction
Natural/Supernatural (Real/Imaginary) is a basic marker of humanity."

At any rate, a very different emphasis than found in our discussion.

RB