Re: [OPE-L] Inter-species slavery

From: clyder@GN.APC.ORG
Date: Sun Nov 26 2006 - 10:04:25 EST

Quoting Rakesh Bhandari <bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU>:

> >I suspect that there is a more basic biological imperative.
> >Look at the comparative survival and reproduction rates of
> >slave owners versus non slave owners. The slave owners will
> >have been better fed and more likely to see their children
> >survive. This trait is shared with ant slavers.
>
> Paul,
>
> I suggest that you consult Allin who lives in North Carolina to
> determine how wildly
> inaccurate this statement regarding treatment of children is. There were
> also
> breeder states in the US.

I was saying that the survival rate among slave children will
be lower than that among slave owners children. Am I wrong in that?

When you discuss slavery in the USA you are probably right, but
recall that it is far earlier in origins, and from its earliest
phases, relative survival would have been significantly better
among the rich slave owners than the poor slaves.