Re: [OPE-L] *enforcing* the list rule against flaming

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Sun Nov 26 2006 - 15:17:26 EST

Who ever made this decission I do not find it very wise. Punishment is the
worst way of enforcing something since it does not aim at convincing. Rakesh
made some claims and he gave more than once reasons why he makes these  claims.
I do not think that his claims are correct because to accuse  someone of
racism requires to show that he/she is consciously and intentionally  aims to
develop racist ideologies. This cannot be calimed of Jerry. But instead  taking
meaures to punish him it should have been argued. It should have been  shown
that he is wrong. This has not been done. Istead it has been moralised. To
understand human beings as natural and social beings it was, is and will always  be
necessary to draw analogies between humans and other animals. These analogies
 however can become problematic and misused if they are politicised. 19th
century  is full of these attempts.

I hope you will reconsider your decission and enable Rakesh to explain  h
imself and give him the opportunity to aplogise publicly.

Regards
Dogan

In einer eMail vom 26.11.2006 18:46:41 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
ope-admin@RICARDO.ECN.WFU.EDU:

Rakesh  has been given a "time out".

If and when he is ready to change his  behavior and respect the list rule
against flaming (i.e. personal abuse)  then he will be re-admitted.

In solidarity, Jerry