[OPE-L] Fwd: [OPE-L] *enforcing* the list rule against flaming

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Mon Nov 27 2006 - 04:46:54 EST

Rakesh writes:

attached mail follows:

I am not calling Jerry a racist or a sexist. If that is what I did say, I
am sorry. I am calling statements racist or sexist.  Jerry may have swell
relationships with minorities and women. That's not the point.

And I would have called those statements such no matter who had uttered
them. This has
nothing to do with Jerry. For example, to say that human behavior is the
the same as animal
behavior does to me suggest two problems in the case of rape: it seems to
naturalize rape and
disarm appropriate moral and political criticism and secondly it seems to
efface how the rape of women is an altogether different act than violence
against female animals in terms of meaning and concomitant psychological
effect. To fail to recognize this is insensitive to women. I follow Fausto
Sterling in seeing the analogy as sexist. I am not alone--again see the
many replies to Thorhill's book.

And for those who traffic in sociobiology there has been Marxist critiicsm
Marcel Prenant and
Joseph Needham to Richard Lerner and John Vandermeer to Stephen and Hilary
Rose that does
consider many sociobiological claims fascist, racist, sexist and
reactionary. I am not saying anything new here.

Rakesh

ps Dear Dogan, thank you for your statement. If you think this
appropriate, would you kindly it forward it to the list.