Re: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] what is irrational in the functioning of capitalism?

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue Nov 28 2006 - 06:11:52 EST

--- Nicola Taylor <nmtayl@YAHOO.COM.AU> wrote:

> ---------------------------------
> Goecmen wrote:
>
> "The aim of capitalism is to produce as many wage
> labourers as possible and put them on employment to
> exploit."
>
> Martin replied:
>
> "The aim of the capitalist entrepreneur, I believe,
> is
> accumulation of capital. Through this tendency, more
> areas of human society has historically been
> subsumed
> in a wagelabour relation over time. Ricardo was one
> who made the accumulation of capital modus very
> explicit in his Principles. I don't see that the
> ratio
> of wage labourers-population is really as important
> though".
____________________________
Actually, I do not understand why "labor" is
particularly important in the context of production of
profit. Do we think that "surplus" cannot be produced
without labor? But why can't we imagine a system of
production completely operated by robots? In this
case, why can't we imagine the system producing a
"surplus" and a market with prices of commodities with
a rate of profits to boot. The question is, can we
make a logical claim that a system of production
without labor will not be able to produce "surplus".
If not, then there is a serious problem with Marx's
concept of "surplus value". Cheers, ajit sinha