Re: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] what is irrational in the functioning of capitalism?

From: Ian Wright (wrighti@ACM.ORG)
Date: Mon Dec 04 2006 - 16:56:12 EST

Hi Rakesh

I have responded to Ajit because it is normally more  productive to
discuss ideas with someone who disagrees with you. Hence less messages
on your posts.

>I think we may be the only two people on this list who worry that the
>Sraffian view may depend on metaphysics-the false attribution of
>timelessly physical or material existence to evanescent
>technical conditions of production. For only if they are fixed
>against time is there anything physical or material in terms of which
>to have prices and profits determined. The theory presents itself as
>hard headed, more materialist than thou and empiricist; but its basic
>data dissolve in one's hands in the course of dynamic analysis. There
>is nothing there but a detour into Platonic realm of ideal technical
>conditions of production, frozen against the passage of time.

I think it's important to abstract and even freeze in order to analyse
special-cases. So I have no problem in principle with formal models.
On the contrary, I think they are essential. But always incomplete.
Introducing change I think is essential to understand the theory of
value.

Best,
-Ian.