Re: [OPE-L] you don't call this a flame?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Dec 06 2006 - 12:12:07 EST

This is an obnoxious message, Riccardo. Verbosity
is obviously not the monopoly of fundamentalist
Marxists.

No where do you even try to understand why I said
that the  specific assertion was racist; and no
where do you challenge the idea that if Jerry is
the aggrieved he should not moderate the dispute,
reserving the right to expel me before he has
consulted with AC.  If you spoke to the actual
issues, exchanges need not be prolix.

My post was not a flame.  Any superficial reading of Richard B Lee's studies
of primitive communism should  make one cringe at
the suggestion the foraging or hunter
gatherer mode of production/subsistence is
possible in non human animal society while human
feudal
or bourgeois society is not. Lee's works  have
been required reading in a countless number
of introductory anthropology courses, so I am
surprised that my challenge to Jerry's
ideas have not elicited more sympathy (there are
breadth requirements even for economists, right?)
Instead I was told I was disgusting without any
attention to what the discussion was actually
about.  One could also cite Marshall Sahlins or
Tim Ingold
or Nurit Bird David. These are hardly unknown
names. Their descriptions of the social  relations
of primitive communism (if that is what we are to
call it) simply cannot be squared with the idea
that non human animals are capable of them. And I
didn't think it was unknown that the select
collapsing of the human/animal distinction only
in the cases of communist primitives or 'savages'
or 'barbarians' was the form in which racist
colonialism justified itself in the Americas,
Southern Africa, Australia, and elsewhere.

Racism was just the most accurate description of
the claim made. It described the claim, and its
intellectual origins. Why should the claim should
not have been described as racist, and said to
have derived from the racist evolutionism of
Victorian anthropology?

It is a matter of record that no one has spoken
to the reasons I made for the claim, but you are
still willing to intervene in this dispute in
which you are not directly involved.

It is also a matter of record that the study
cited to justify the claim that rape had been
observed in dolphins no where even used the word
rape.

So please let's talk about ethics. What justifies
such cavalier posting about such painful
problems? What justifies the citing of studies
which have not been read carefully if at all?

So I guess the  flames will continue about my
aggressive tone, my lack of scholarship, my
compromised ethics, my refusal to understand
others' points of views.

Rakesh