Re: [OPE-L] History as Spiral

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 08 2006 - 17:29:22 EST

Dear David

in Capital, Vol. 1, Part VIII: Primitive Accumulation, Chapter  Thirty-Two:
Historical Tendency of Capitalist Accumulation, in the paragraph  before the
last paragraph Marx says:

*The capitalist mode of appropriation, the result of the  capitalist mode of
production, produces capitalist private property. This is the  first negation
of individual private property, as founded on the labor of the  proprietor.
But capitalist production begets, with the inexorability of a law of  Nature,
its own negation. It is the negation of negation. This does not  re-establish
private property for the producer, but gives him individual  property based on
the acquisition of the capitalist era: i.e., on  co-operation and the
possession in common of the land and of the means of  production.*

See: _http://www.marx.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch32.htm_
(http://www.marx.org/archive/marx/works/1867-c1/ch32.htm) ;

alternatively: Karl Marx, Capital, Moscow: Progress  Publishers, Vol. I, p.
715.

If more references needed please let us know. There are many  similar
passages in various other works of Marx and Engels. Since you put in  your email Marx
on the first place I selected a passage from  Capital.

Cheers

Dogan

In einer eMail vom 08.12.2006 22:40:26 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
dlaibman@SCIENCEANDSOCIETY.COM:

Dear OPE  comrades,
Folks on this list are *so good* at tracking things down,  that I could
not resist passing this one along.
One of my  colleagues at *Science & Society,* Barbara Foley, asks: where
does Marx  (I think she would include Engels as well) put forward the
idea that  history proceeds in spiral form -- i.e., negation of the
negation, with  elements present in the first-posited stage returning, in
a "higher" state,  in a third stage?
Any references would be appreciated.
In  solidarity,
David