[OPE-L] Remembering September 11th

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Tue Dec 12 2006 - 20:49:45 EST

Subject: REMEMBERING THE "OTHER" SEPTEMBER 11
From:    "Info" <info@oceanbooks.com.au>
Date:    Tue, December 12, 2006 5:49 pm

Remembering the "Other" September 11

Pinochet might be gone but memories of that "other" September 11 live on.

On September 11, 1973, with President Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger's
blessing, Salvador Allende was overthrown by General Augusto Pinochet.

Even prior to Allende's election in 1970, Kissinger had remarked: "I don't
see why we need to stand by and watch a country go communist because of the
irresponsibility of its own people."

Addressing the United Nations in December 1972, President Allende explained
the peaceful, democratic project his Popular Unity government had instigated
in Chile:

"The need to place all our economic resources at the service of the enormous
needs of the people went hand in hand with Chile's regaining of its dignity.
We had to end the situation as a result of which we Chileans, plagued by
poverty and stagnation, had to export huge sums of capital for the benefit
of the world's most powerful market economy. The nationalization of basic
resources constitutes an historic demand. Our economy could no longer
tolerate the subordination implied by having more than 80 percent of its
exports in the hands of a small group of large foreign companies that have
always put their interests before those of the countries in which they make
profits."

He concluded: "Those who make peaceful revolution impossible make violent
revolution inevitable. These are not my words. I simply share the same
opinion. The words are those of John F. Kennedy."

This speech was apparently enough to convince Washington that Allende's
government had to go.

As a consequence of Pinochet's military coup, more than 3,000 Chileans died,
including Salvador Allende himself. Thousands of others were imprisoned,
tortured and forced into exile.

Ocean Press has published two outstanding books that keep alive the memory
of  Chile's September  11.

Salvador Allende Reader: Chile's Voice of Democracy

edited and introduced by James Cockcroft

1-876175-24-9  paper  US$19.95

Chile: The Other September 11: An Anthology of Reflections on the 1973 Coup

by Ariel Dorfman and others

"The kind of true testimonial that all Americans should read." -Clamor

1-920888-44-6  paper  US$11.95

ORDER FROM CBSD www.cbsd.com <http://www.cbsd.com/>   or

info@oceanbooks.com.au

www.oceanbooks.com.au