Re: [OPE-L] Roman Rosdolsky on the Holocaust, from his own experience

From: Christopher Arthur (arthurcj@WAITROSE.COM)
Date: Sat Dec 16 2006 - 08:12:15 EST

Jurriaan is right that the de facto existence of Israel as a power they
can do little about is what any sensible Palestinian should recognise.
However do not dismiss the de jure issue so quickly for it is of
immense political significance. Israel's demand that Palestine
recognise it as a precondition of negotiations is a cover for the
hijacking of one people's country by another people. It adds insult to
injury by demanding the victim accept that their own dispossession was
legitimate. Obviously impossible, as the Israelis know very well, hence
its usefulness to keep peace off the agenda. However a realistic chance
of peace means recognition must be on the table and comes about as the
final act of the negotiation when the Palestinian side accept that all
their realisable demands (in effect the UN resolutions) have been met.
In brief Israel has a right to exist when the Palestinians recognise
it, not before. However, any sensible Palestinian must realise that the
de facto existence of Israel requires them to come to terms  that
include de jure recognition as part of a peace agreement just as the
Israeli side must recognise Palestine in its 1967 borders.
Chris A
17 Bristol Road
Brighton
BN2 1AP