Re: [OPE-L] Chavez: President of Turkey?

From: Dogan Goecmen (Dogangoecmen@AOL.COM)
Date: Fri Dec 29 2006 - 09:37:25 EST

Jerry,

I do not know who is more popular in Turkey. What I can say from my
observations is that many people in Turkey turn away from islamic parties just
because they did not keep their promisses in particular with regard to enhancing
the living standards of poor people. Which islamic and other right wing party
ever came into power they implemented neoliberal policies. The gap between the
rich and the poor gets bigger and bigger. The system of mutual support among
islamic people takes place against the will of islamic ruling classes. In
Turkey  the islamic bourgeosie is meanwhile a monopoly bourgeosie. Again from my
oberservations I know that many people like the anti-imperialism and walfare
policies embodied by Chavez. This is however not to say that leftwing
movement  improves its influences. For this it is spilit into hundreds of fractions,
being  not able to mobilise even its traditional basis. In short, Despite
this, in  short, Chavez is very popular in Turkey in particular among the poor and
 working classes independently from their religious belives. Subcommandante
Marcos is popular in Turkey too. But his popularity limited to the leftwing
groops. Differing from him Chavez is popular among ordinary people who try to
get their everyday lives somehow organised. It is not by chance that every
interview, paper and statement of Michael Lebowitz is translated into Turkish
not later than within two days.

The aim of my email was (because I can follow the debates in Turkey from  the
original sources) to inform our discussion group about an interesting
phenomena and in doing so to provide an additional window to the world  politics.

Cheers

Dogan

In einer eMail vom 29.12.2006 15:05:58 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt
Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM:

> Chavez  was one of the few names refered to by the people. Some  of
>  the people  asked said sponteniously: *I wish Hugo Chavez could become
> Turkey's  president.*

Dogan:

Thanks for the explanation.

I guess it's not surprising under the  circumstances you describe that some
replied by declaring wistfully their  preference for Chavez.  After all, he
has a
large and growing reputation  internationally and is looked towards with hope
by much of the Left.  I would  be somewhat surprised, though, if Chavez was
currently more popular in  Turkey than Sheikh Sayyed Hassan  Nasrallah.

There is much that many in  Turkey should find appealing about Nezrallah:
for instance,  Hezbollah's  military success this past summer against Israel
aggression and their effort to build a popular front by reaching  out to both
religious and non-religious  Shiite, Sunni, Christian, and Druze communities
in
opposition to the US backed  government.  The reports from recent
demonstrations in Lebanon  are very encouraging in this regard: indeed, it
was
commonplace for people to  wear the symbols of clothing associated with
divergent tendencies and  communities as an expression of this desire for
unity
and genuine  self-determination.  Hezbollah also has an excellent reputation
in
poor  communities of  providing social services  to the poor independently of
the state.  I would think that all of  this would be very appealing  to many
Turkish communities,  no?

In solidarity,  Jerry