[OPE-L] Fw: [OPE-L] Why the US is Not Leaving Iraq

From: Paul Bullock (paulbullock@EBMS-LTD.CO.UK)
Date: Mon Jan 15 2007 - 17:47:01 EST

L.. Paul Bremer wrote article in WSJ Europe  11 Jan 07 p12,
'Bold,Unpopular and Risky'

He says of withdrawal

"Broader sectarian violence between Iraq's Arabs would certainly provoke the
Kurds to declare their independence from Iraq. I have often spoken about
this issue with the Kurdish leaders. They have made clear that their
decision to join a liberated Iraq depends on a government which can provide
security for all its people and which is not dominated by sectarianism. An
independent  Iraqi Kurdistan would have an irresistible attraction for the
millions of Kurds living in Syria, Turkey and Iran and would surely lead to
a wider regional war. Such a war would threaten American interests and
allies throughout the region and lead to American military reengagement on a
very large scale.

Most importantly, an American defeat in Iraq would immediately endanger
Americans. By confirming Bin Laden's analysisi that America is a 'weak
horse' driven out of Lebanon in 1983 and Somalia a decade later, defeat
would be a major recruiting poster for Islamic extremists everywhere. If
force again rules Mesopotamia, there is a real risk that Islamic extremists
will establish themselves there as they had done in Afghanistan, but this
time with major economic resources and an operating base not on theb
periphery of the Middle East, but at its heart.'

His only self criticim was that   'I put too much emphasis on large scale
projects when smaller ones would have shown quicker results to the average
Iraqui'.