Re: [OPE-L] North Korea, used to be What Ahmadinejad actually said - lost in translation...

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 11:11:50 EST

I am not doubting that there are very tight political controls in north Korea, and that opposition
is not permitted. This, however, must depend primarily on ideology rather than on the use of
heavy weapons. You need no more than a pistol to shoot a person in the head.

None of this has any bearing on the rationality or otherwise of the head of state. If you have
a nuclear armed enemy on your borders, if there is no peace treaty with them - only an
armistice - as pertains in Korea, and if you also examine the recent actions of the
USA, it seems eminently rational to try and obtain atomic weapons to deter attack.

It is no less rational than the actions of the leaders of India, Pakistan, UK or the USSR