[OPE-L] Davos 07: A first life perspective on avatars and the virtual world

From: Jurriaan Bendien (adsl675281@TISCALI.NL)
Date: Fri Jan 26 2007 - 18:44:59 EST

Revealing clip from Davos 07:

We have partly lost control of our identity, according to Loic Le Meur,
Executive Vice-President of Six Apart, and the times when companies and
individuals could control their image is over. "Fortunately it is also what
you say online and your own influence that matters as well," he said.

Echoing Le Meur's sentiments, Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community
Development, Youth and Sports of Singapore, said that the rise of the
virtual world would make it harder for politicians to lie and that to
achieve credibility, people would have to "reflect their true selves with
their avatars".

On the difficulties of the virtualization process, Yossi Vardi, Chairman,
International Technologies Ventures, said that "to communicate and develop a
relationship by proxy is not a trivial thing. Internet technologies have
allowed us to make great leaps forward but we are still a long way from
attaining 'total presence' in the virtual world".

http://www.weforum.org/en/events/annualmeeting2007/index.htm

Session summary:
http://www.weforum.org/en/knowledge/Events/2007/AnnualMeeting/KN_SESS_SUMM_18100?url=/en/knowledge/Events/2007/AnnualMeeting/KN_SESS_SUMM_18100

It's tough for those populations who don't have electric power or an
internet connection :-( They are going to miss out on the virtual afterlife.

J.

I can choose
Each day who I want to be.
You can choose
Each day who you want to see,
We'll scan the crowd and pan the rounds of all those
Distant scenes,
Immortalize a slice of time,
Hey don't mind me...
I'm having my picture taken.

- Boomtown Rats, "Having my picture taken" (1979)