Re: [OPE-L] SV: [OPE-L] North Korea

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Sat Jan 27 2007 - 11:52:43 EST

>Then I was asked about WMD:s, what I thought
>about them etc. Well, I oppose any country
>having them. But I do think a country like North
>Kore and a personal leader like Kim Jung
>Ill would be more likely to use those, and that
>would be against their closest neighbours,
>especially if the US would attack, or threaten
>to do so. The regime is highly unstable, as are
>all dictatorships, and those weapons might end
>up in the wrong hands. This last part was also
>repeated in my former e-mail, and it is a
>reflection obviously of a more personal opinion
>about for example Kim's psychological status.
>Wasn't the great leader's portraits suddenly
>removed from all public buildings about 2
>years ago? And then put back just a few days
>later? We might very well see a regime change
>from inside North Korea quite soon, why I think
>the best recipee is patience, as always.

But Martin what seems to follow from your
analysis is not the need for patience but the
need for  preventive attacks against Kim Sung
Ill's build up of nuclear capabilities. The
question that has been put to you is whether you
openly affirm the apparent implication of your
own analysis.  I (as well as others) may be
misunderstanding you, so please do clarify what
you  you think follows from your analysis.

>A week ago I posted a mail about the archives
>containing the former MEL-institute's holdings.
>Much material found there will for obvious
>reasons be in German, English or French, which
>is why I thought it might be a good idea for you
>to know about it. I would be glad to help
>anybody who would like to know more about what
>is required for access to these holdings.
>Hopefully, I can continue to pursue the quest
>for a deepend knowledge in political economy,
>which is what this list is for in the first
>place. For example, I plan to post info about
>previously unknown material by I.I. Rubin.

We do need a new political economic analysis of
what appears to be a qualitative leap  in
imperialist aggression which has made the
Westphalian order a corpse and flaunts the United
Nations. I don't think this discussion is off
topic for this list.

I am wondering whether OPE-L'ers would recommend
any work on this topic. I have spoken highly of
Prem Shankar Jha's The Twilight of the Nation
State: Globalisation, Chaos and War. PS Jha was
once the editor of the Hindu, New Delhi's largest
morning daily.

Rakesh