Re: [OPE-L] Where "dialectical materialism" really comes from

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 16:11:09 EST

Hi Jurriaan,

Do the real forces impelling the things of the world, including human
behavior, include unobservable entities not in themselves capable, even in
principle, of experiential or practical verification, but verifiable only in
their effects?

If so, that is, if verifiable experiment does not offer direct sensory
access to all of the causal forces actually operating in the world or in
human life, then how is access possible at all except in function of
theories which, insofar as they are at all complicated, become loosely
systems of one sort or another, e.g. the theoretical system of quantum
mechanics?

Also, you refer to the rejection of "philosophical inquiry as being mainly
'ideology', insofar as a 'materialist world view' (however defined) is
itself also a philosophical abstraction, to the extent that it is a
generalisation which goes beyond verifiable experience, and guides it."

Set aside the reference to a 'materialist world view'.  I'm interested in
the reference to generalizations which go beyond verifiable experience as
being 'philosophical abstractions'.  Does the phrase 'philosophical
abstraction' refer to concepts about the world only, say one ideological
form or another, or can it refer to unobservable causal structures that
function as forces impelling human or other natural behavior?

Notice I've asked a series of what seem to be philosophical questions.  Yet
there is nothing in the questions themselves or even in the answers one
might be tempted to give to them that presupposes a commitment to any
philosophical effort at all other than one fully continuous with the
inquiries and methods of science.

Rather than say Marx rejected the philosophical mode of inquiry, I'd be more
inclined to say that he foreshadowed today's sophisticated scientific
realism.

Howard