Re: [OPE-L] 3 crucial points?

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Tue Jan 30 2007 - 18:33:29 EST

Hi Jerry,

Is it 'labor time' that is directly bought and sold?  Wouldn't it be more
precise to say that what is bought is the use of labor power for a specific
period of time?  The worker gets paid at the end of that time, not in
advance, so it looks like they're getting paid for the entire period.  But
in fact, they're getting paid for the value of their labor power, regardless
of the period of time they agree to work.  So what is bought and sold is a
commodity, and then the use of that commodity is put at the disposal of the
purchaser for the period of time agreed.

Anyway, the point you underscore about the difference between the commodity
as it emerges from capitalist production and the commodity as a precondition
of capitalist production is fundamentally important I think.  "Capital
cannot come into being except on the foundation of the circulation of
commodities (and money)," (943), ie the commodity as a precondition to
capitalist production.  We cannot collapse the distinction between value and
capital nor between the commodity as a bearer of value on the one hand or as
a bearer of value plus surplus value on the other.  But this raises issues
well beyond the scope of the question I originally raised.

Howard