Re: [OPE-L] 3 crucial points?

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 11:03:50 EST

>Hi Rakesh,
>
>The fact that something is mere form does not mean it is unnecessary or
>inert.  Marx refers to law in some contexts as mere form, but it is a
>necessary constituent.  Take some liquid.  The container is likely to be
>mere form.  But once in the container how you ship or store is usually
>determined.  Also the form can relate back, e.g. for low priced wines there
>is apparently a greater risk of losing this or that case if you cap with a
>cork than with a faux cork.
>
>Anyway, here's Marx at the end of the third section of the Results, p. 1064
>of the Penguin ed.:
>
>"It follows that two widely held views are in error:
>
>"There are firstly those who consider that wage labour, the sale of labour
>to the capitalist and hence the wage form, is something only superficially
>characteristic of capitalist production.  It is, however, one of the
>essential mediating forms of capitalist relations of production, and one
>constantly reproduced by those relations themselves.
>
>"Secondly, there are those who regard this superficial relation, this
>essential formality, this deceptive appearance of capitalist relations as
>its true essence.  They therefore imagine that they can give a true account
>of those relations by classifying both workers and capitalists as commodity
>owners.  They thereby gloss over the essential nature of the relationship,
>extinguishing its differentia specifica."
>
>[italics omitted throughout]
Howard, here is how I understand the important two points.
Not only is capitalism incompatible with relations among independent
commodity producers, it is not even compatible with actual exchange
among commodity
owners.  Exchange proves itself to be a deceptive appearance. See my last post.
  Marx has shown moreover that the accumulation of capital reproduces
the poverty of the worker, i.e.
the labor fund remains in the hand of the capitalist and the worker depends on
its advancement in some form for her life. I agree with Banaji
however that the wage can
take multiple forms: the labor fund can be advanced in multiple ways.

Rakesh