[OPE-L] Mitchel Cohen on Marxists and Ecology

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@msn.com)
Date: Sat Feb 03 2007 - 09:40:13 EST

Mitchel Cohen gave a talk at the "Marxist Theory Colloquium" at NYU
last week, which I attended.  The Colloquium is a monthly workshop
facilitated by Bertell Ollman.  Mitch's talk was on:

"Marxists and Ecology: Is Marx's Critique of Science and Technology
Radical Enough?".

There was a lively discussion after Mitch's talk which fellow OPE-Ler
David Laibman participated in.  David, like Mitch,  has been participating
in Bertell's workshop on Marxist Theory for years.

I am *attaching* two files to this message: the *paper* he presented and
a *summary* he wrote of that paper.  You might want to start with the
latter.

I have also *included below* a short bio of Mitch and a short description
he wrote about  Ollman's workshop and the context of his talk
(this was part of the invitation I received).

Mitch would appreciate any comments that you have on his paper
or the subject more generally or specifically.  I will forward any
comments to him.

In solidarity, Jerry