Re: [OPE-L] Caste system- surplus woman question

From: Paul Cockshott (wpc@DCS.GLA.AC.UK)
Date: Thu Feb 15 2007 - 06:04:31 EST

I have read through 'Marx on Caste' which you suggest, and started on
'Buddha is not Enough, Ambedkar is not enough either, Marx is a Must'. I
am enjoying reading it. It is good knockabout stuff in its criticisms of
Ambedkar which seem mostly fair. The one I am not sure about is her
criticism of Ambedkars analysis of Sati.

He explained this as arising from the attempt by the Brahmins to
mainatain endogamy. Widows, as surplus women, he claimed, would have
endangered this by potentially marrying into other casts, there being no
men of their own caste available to marry. Ranganayakamma replies 'what
about the surplus men', could the widows not have married widowers?

I don't think this is an altogether valid criticism of Ambedkar since
male life expectancy being less than female life expectancy, society
tends to have more widows than widowers. One also has to take into
account the statistical effect of living in small village communities.
In such communities the likelihood of surplus men and surplus women
balancing, even with equal life expectancies would be rare. Some
communities would have more Brahmin widowers some would have more
widows. But even if we grant that Ambedkar had identified a real problem
for the upper castes, Sati would not have been the only institution that
could have been arrived at to maintain endogamy: tolerance of polygamy
and polyandry would also deal with the occurrences of surpluses of men
or women of a particular cast.