Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Fri Feb 23 2007 - 05:30:47 EST

Hi Jerry,

I think that we have to proceed in steps in the analysis of prices. Before dealing with the price of non-produced commodities, we have to look at the general case: reproducible goods. For these, my view is: total of values = total of prices of production = total of market prices.

There is no doubt that Iraqi antiquities were part of the surplus-labour realized at the moment, not of present surplus-value. But again, before considering the relation between the capitalist mode of production and other modes of production, we should analyse the former in its purity (this applies also to the Inuits). As for the tigers they are the result of a production process and so a normal commodity. It is true that tigers are part of Nature but not more than minerals or oil.

I think that most cases you cite are examples of the non-freely-reproducible goods of which Ricardo already spoke, to which does not apply the main norm of the LTV, because their price is determined by demand. In conventional terms, their supply is a vertical line, so the price can be any depending on the intensity of demand.

Best regards,

            Diego