Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 18:28:37 EST

Hi Fred,

Yes, I understand the problem you're attacking is a bit different than the
target I have in mind and stumble not over the analysis so much as the
phrase "analytical framework."

I agree with you that M-C-M' identifies the main question of Bk I.  I would
put it a bit more pointedly:  this is the phenomenon to be explained.
Presenting it as such is powerfully important I think.  Now we look for what
does the explaining, and once we have the explanatory mechanism we can step
back and appraise the analytical framework.  As I said last summer I expect
that will have to do with the reproduction of the social relation of
capital.

The question of initial givens begins to go to the specific question you
address re Sraffa.

Now you say here that the main question(s) posed in volume 3 goes to the
division of the surplus into individual parts.  Your post earlier this
afternoon could be read to say, though perhaps you do not say, that volume 3
is about prices of production.  Michael Heinrich in his article on capital
in general can be read, with something of the same qualification, to say
that volume 3 is about the equalization of the rate of profit.  He can also
be read to say that volume 2 is about the actual proportionate exchange of
the material results of production such that reproduction is possible.

Yet these suggestions are not nearly as clear as what we have said about the
main question of vol. 1.  If we are to talk of the logic of capital, we need
to know what the phenomena to be explained are first, and, as Jerry
suggested, situate these questions appropriately at the level of abstraction
with which we deal (though I think Jerry and I might very well have
different ideas of what we mean by abstraction).

Also, until that's been done, it is pretty hard to make a case for flaws or
inconsistencies in the logic of capital.

Thanks,

Howard