Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Rakesh Bhandari (bhandari@BERKELEY.EDU)
Date: Mon Feb 26 2007 - 11:42:24 EST

> Hi, Rakesh,
>

> I would first look at the general case, where fixed capital is present. In
> it, constant capital is the value of the stock of capital. As all values,
> it
> comes from labour, in this case unpaid labour extracted to workers in the
> process of production of the means of production. And as all values, it is
> measured by a certain quantity of money. [Note by the way that there is no
> stock of variable capital; I agree with Duménil in this point]
>

> If we look at the flow of constant capital, I think it is necessary to use
> replacement costs, not historical costs.

But. leaving aside the question of how and why money price mis-represents
value, why should replacement rather than historical costs be in the
denominator the profit rate?

If we take C(r) to be replacement costs and C(h) to be historical costs,

why shouldn't the profit rate be measured as

C(r)plus value added/C(h)plus v?

 Wouldn't that be the way to measure the actual expansion of capital in time?

I'm trying to understand your difference with Alejandro.

Yours truly, Rakesh

That is the value of this flow is