Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Tue Feb 27 2007 - 15:11:11 EST

Hi Ian. A brief interjection.

> If labour values in principle require knowledge of price magnitudes
> for their calculation then labour values cannot explain prices. It is
> like saying that a thermometer measures temperature but temperature
> depends on the current reading of the thermometer.

Following Marx, if  exchange-value is a necessary form of appearance
of value and if  money is a necessary form of appearance of
exchange-value, then  the problem you are posing vanishes.  I.e.
commodity price is an _expression_ of value.   This is quite
different from the thermometer / temperature analogy: thermometers
can measure heat but they are not expressions of heat.  Nor are
thermometers necessary for the existence of heat, whereas the
value of commoditities requires an  expression in price.

In solidarity, Jerry