Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Diego Guerrero (diego.guerrero@CPS.UCM.ES)
Date: Wed Feb 28 2007 - 04:00:51 EST

Hi, Fred,

You have now understood my "m". It is as you say and I think "actual
long-run center of gravity prices" would be a good name for them. I have to
check later your quotation of Marx, but I think this is my point. Thanks for
calling my attention towards the Marx's "real production price". When Duncan
Foley read my paper he first raised the same objection as you concerning the
meaning of my "market prices". Then I replied him the following:

<<In note xxiv of my paper I wrote: "Note that the m have to be understood
in the statistical sense, i.e. as average magnitudes in time and space,
because it is possible for any commodity that every actual day-to-day
transactions is made at prices that all differ from the average m. The fact
that p prices are averages of the m in another sense should not veil the
understanding that in practice the m that can be known as data at the macro
level are averages of the actual m. Of course, the same can be said of all
categories in my table, which means that in it are represented their annual
(or other periods of time) averages, not their day-to-day magnitudes.">>

And after this he wrote me:

<<It seems that you are interposing another level of abstraction here, which
is the centers of gravity around which actually measured market prices in a
concrete economic situation gravitate. From the point of view of the SSLTV
(the "new interpretation", which Gerard Dumenil and I would like to get
people to call the "single-system labor theory of value") this is perfectly
legitimate, since there is not special significance to prices of production
at this level.>>

Therefore, it seems like if it were a question of names and of levels of
abstraction. Therefore what I am reclaiming makes sense to me: we have to
change from the usual approach in just two levels (values and prices of
production) to a more complete approach in 3 levels:

1) in the first level we make m = w;

2) in the second, m = p;

3) finally, m = what Marx calls "real price of production", that is
different from w and p.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Diego