Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 01 2007 - 10:02:26 EST

> Are prices are necessary for the existence of labour values? (E.g, are
> prices are part of the "real definition" of labour values?).

Hi Ian:

Yes, prices are a  necessary mode of expression of value. Prices
are part of the "real definition" of commodities.

> In a
> hypothetical planned economy without prices are there labour values?

No.

> Are prices the only way to measure labour values?

Prices are the way in which values come to be expressed. Prices
are more than merely a "measure" of value. (btw, why do you refer
to "labour values"?  This seems to me to be redundant and akin to
referring consistently to the "productivity of labor" rather than simply
"productivity".)

It is difficult having this conversation,  I think, because we seem to be
employing different methodologies -- in particular different conceptions
about abstraction and reconstructing the subject matter in thought.  I am
not faulting you here, only noting an underlying issue.

In solidarity, Jerry