Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 06:42:43 EST

Allin writes:

>There are various levels here:

>1. The labour times required to produce things
>2. "Value" (or "labour value")
>3. Exchange value
>4. Price

Notice the levels here are levels of the quantitative.  There is also a
qualitative consideration within which all this sits and without which sense
cannot be made of it:  levels 1, 2, 3, and 4 all are a consequence of a
particular social form of labor -- units of production produce separately
products they do not need.

And, speaking to a related point in the discussion, the real definition of a
commodity is given by the so to speak qualitative social structure which is
its cause.

Howard