Re: [OPE-L] GDP growth and rising poverty: let them eat cake...

From: Jerry Levy (Gerald_A_Levy@MSN.COM)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2007 - 12:26:40 EST

> > What statistical measure is a better indicator of economic growth than
> > GDP?
> I do not have a quick answer to that, since I think the term "economic
> growth" refers not just to a quantitative increase in one variable, but to
> a process whereby the reinvestment of income leads to increased output,
> labour utilisation, assets and additional income.

Hi Jurriaan:

One could examine statistics on economic development for this.  But,
if there are problems with GDP measurement there are probably even more
problems with measurements of development.  There is a lot of disagreement
among mainstream economists about how economic development should be
measured and Marxians don't  have an unambiguous and agreed upon definition
of development either.

As always, thanks for your comments.

In solidarity, Jerry