[OPE-L] The Center for Applied Study of Economics and the Environment

From: glevy@PRATT.EDU
Date: Sat Mar 03 2007 - 11:19:32 EST

------------------------- Original Message -------------------------

We are pleased to announce a new organization of progressive economists
working on environmental issues: The Center for the Applied Study of
Economics and the Environment (CASE&E).

We are economists troubled by environmental degradation and social
injustice, by the wide and growing inequality of wealth and income in
America and in the world, and by the harmful impacts of the globalized
economy on the natural ecosystems that support human activity. In order to
change what is wrong with the economy, we must change what is wrong with
economics as it is currently taught and practiced. CASE&E promotes a
vision of an engaged and realistic economics, in which an understanding of
social equity and environmental protection cannot be separated.

We invite you to read our statement, Real People, Real Environments, and
Realistic Economics, which outlines our critique of conventional economics
and why a new progressive economics of the environment is necessary. We
also encourage you to check out our online Green Economist Directory of
economists willing to work with environmental organizations on either a
paid or pro-bono basis. Please consider adding your name to the directory.
Adding your name is a great way for you to connect with the real world
policy issues going on in your community and it doesn't commit you to
anything.

Our statement and the directory, as well as information regarding our
other projects and initiatives, can be found on our website:
<http://www.case-and-e.org>.

Sincerely,

The CASE&E Steering Committee:

Frank Ackerman          Astrid Scholz