Re: [OPE-L] questions on the interpretation of labour values

From: Howard Engelskirchen (howarde@TWCNY.RR.COM)
Date: Sun Mar 04 2007 - 23:52:39 EST

Many natural scientists and others agree that social science is different --
so different in fact that it really isn't science at all.

As for your last paragraph, you appear to say that in the end it is not
possible to give a definition of the real and essential character of the
commodity -- that's okay, but then I assume you didn't actually mean to
refer earlier to a 'real definition'.

As ee cummings might have said, borrowing from one poem to deform another,
"so much depends on that damned last etc."

> Agreed.  The real and essential character of commodity requires (amongst
> much  else) price, money, market, etc.   This can not be seen by an appeal
> alone to a particular definition (or what Marx wrote); it must be
explained
> in terms of grasping the inter-connection between different categories
> associated with comprehending the subject matter of capitalism.  The issue
> thus isn't merely a definition; the issue is grasping how capitalism
works.

In any event grasping how capitalism works means understanding the
structures of social life that causally account for it.  If we're able to
identify those, then in doing so we've given a real definition of capital.
A real definition does not point at words; it points at causal structures.
But causal structures don't tend to end with an 'etc.'

(There are fuzzy edges and things that are not one thing or the other, but
all that is a different question.)

Howard