Re: [OPE-L] Proposition #4

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 11:06:46 EST

I'm okay with most of what you say, but some problems
have begun to appear. You write:

"i) because all production takes the form of commodity
production and
all goods sold are commodities, this requires that
both labor time and
means of production take the form of commodities.
Define the amount
of money which is used to purchase means of production
as *constant
capital* and the amount of money used to hire
wage-workers  as
*variable capital*."
__________________________
Two problems: First of all, if labor-time ia a
commodity then labor-power is not a commodity. Taking
labor-time as a commodity would create severe problem
in developing the notion of surplus value to you. So
you should clarify whether you mean that it is the
labor-power that is a commodity, and if so, then
define labor-power or maintain that labor-time is a
commodity, but then explain how.

Secondly, and much more importantly, you cannot define
constant capital in terms of money because it presumes
that prices (or exchange ratios) of commodities are
already known. But actually they are the unknown of
your system. You cannot begin by presuming your
unknown to be already known. In other words, the
amount of capital cannot be defined prior to the
knowledge of prices (or exchange ratios).
___________________________
You further say:
"k) since commodities are produced with the intention
of being sold,
they
must also have an *exchange-value*.  Although the
exchange-value of
commodities is  *presumed* (by the seller) before sale
based on past
transactions,  it is only *known*  once it has been
sold on the market."
Since you have already defined *exchange ratios*, the
meaning of the new term *exchange value* is not clear.
It is also not clear what is the relevance of
"presumptions" of sellers etc. Cheers, ajit sinha

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265