Re: [OPE-L] Proposition #5

From: ajit sinha (sinha_a99@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Mon Mar 12 2007 - 16:05:14 EDT

__________________
_________________
>Jerry:
> In the model I suggested,  there were only two
> classes:
> capitalists (who have a monopoly on the ownership
> and
> control of the means of production) and wage-workers
> (the direct producers who sell labor power to
> capitalists in
> exchange for a money wage).
>

> If there is one class which does not directly
> produce goods
> but rather survives off of the proceeds produced by
> another
> class,  then doesn't it necessarily also follows
> that there  is a
> surplus product?  Capitalists don't live on air,
> after all.
>

> Since capitalists own and control the means of
> production
> and are legally entitled to the commodity product,
> let's define the
> "wealth of the capitalists" as the monetary worth of
>  the total product
> minus the monetary worth of  necessary consumption
> (2).
> What capitalists decide to do with the money
> required for the
> replacement of the means of production (1) and
> monetary
> worth of the surplus product (3) is another
> question.  If they wish to
> maintain the same or greater scale in the next round
> of production,
> then this implies something in terms of what they do
> with (1)
> and (3) -- as we shall see.
______________________
Ajit:
So, I see! By wealth, you mean income. Generally, in
economics wealth is differentiated from income. Wealth
is a stock concept and income is a flow concept. The
capitalist could have inherited thousands of acres of
land and other kinds of wealth from his/her feudal
ancestors. But there is no problem as long as we are
clear about what you are talking about. The money
value of the surplus product is the income of the
capitalist by definition.
_______________________
____________________
>Jerry:
> You're basically correct: what we have is that
> commodities
> were produced by lots of wage-workers who utilized
> means
> of production.
_________________________
Ajit:
Be careful in your formulations. Wage workers do not
utilize means of production. It is the capitalist who
utilizes the labor of the wage workers and the means
of production together. The wage-workers have no
control over the production process. Their labor is
utilized in the same manner as coal in the production
process. This is the foundation of the notion of
alienated labor.
____________________________
Jerry:
The class relationship which has been
> outlined
> tells us that the total product minus the amount
> paid to wage-
> workers (which is used by wage-workers to purchase
> the
> commodities required to reproduce themselves at
> their customary
> standard of living) becomes the property of the
> capitalist class.
> If you were to say that this is an obvious 'result'
> given the
> assumptions made, then I'd agree with you.
__________________________
Ajit:
Also keep in mind that when you take wages given in
terms of money, you cannot necessarily ensure that
prices will always be such that workers are able to
consume at their customary level. You are trying to
have both the real as well as the money wages as
given. But I'm letting such things pass right now.
________________________
_________________________
> Ajit:
> > But you have already explained that the total
> product
> > is produced by the use of machines, raw materials
>
> (recall your suggestion that there is no fixed
> capital)
__________________
Ajit:
Yes, but since you put back the fixed capital in your
1,2,3 formulation, I had to bring the machine in. In
any case, you could assume that machines are used up
in one production cycle.
___________________

__________________
___________________________
_________________
_________________
>Jerry:
> So far I have only claimed that there is a surplus
> product
> produced by wage-workers (yes, working with means of
> production) which is appropriated by capitalists and
> that
> there is a connection between this and labor time,
> commodities,
> and money.  (i.e. labor time by wage-workers is
> expended
> producing the total and surplus products;  the total
> and
> surplus products takes the form of commodities and
> all  that
> entails;  money is used to measure the exchange
> rates of
> commodities). These subjects need to be specified
> more for
> us to understand more about this process.
>

> In solidarity, Jerry
Ajit:
There are some slippery formulations here. But I'll
let them pass. I'm interested in seeing where you are
going with this. So, go on. Cheers, ajit sinha

Be a PS3 game guru.